Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bologna and a side of Mashed Potatoes

I have been teaching in my building for eight years. It is a building that is about 76% Hispanic, 12% black and 10% white. I will never forget a conversation I heard between a few students talking about "black people food and Mexican food". When I asked them what they thought white people food was they quickly responded, "Bologna sandwiches, salad and mashed potatoes." It's always interesting to hear their perspective on things.

Last year a fellow social studies teacher was discussing with her current issues class racial issues and stereotypes. Of course the students started to talk about how (mind you in a class with all minorities and one white student) Mexican houses smell like tacos, black houses smell like fried chicken and then they looked at that white student and asked, "What do white people's houses smell like?" Without skipping a beat he said, "Lean Cuisine."

I find this funny on several levels. One is that everyday in our office all of the white female teachers eat either Lean Cuisines or some version thereof.

Yesterday in my American Government class something of this sort came up, yet again, and I started to tell them the story I just told you. Many laughed and a young African American student looked at me and said, "What's Lean Cuisine?" His friend next to him laughed and said, "Hot Pockets with broccoli."

I could not contain my laughter and when I did I headed down to the office to watch my friend K heat up her Lean Pocket and it began again.

No comments: