Sunday, August 31, 2008

Is This the Little Boy I Carried, Too?

Life with the boys is filled with days known as Therapy Thursdays and trips to various ENTs, asmatha/allergy doctors, regular doctors, OTs, PTs, and doctors of the head shrinking variety. In 2006 when J failed two hearing tests speech therapy began. With this therapy other OT and PT evals came along. In the end once a week PT sessions would be had for "low tone" in the upper trunk.

As the number one advocate for these children, I decided in March to contact the public school so I could have J evaluated and see if I can get some of these services for free. His eval was over the summer and our speech therapist informed me, "He probably won't qualify." Nonetheless with my own Mommy in tow we attended his staffing on his birthday.

Long story short, he qualified for their "at-risk" preschool and he would start in seven days, but don't worry he can take the school bus from daycare. While a relief how do you explain to a 3 year old that even though Mommy won't be there, get on this bus to a school you barely know and join in a classroom full of kids and two teachers you don't even know. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen. I was able to bring him over there a few days before my school and his school started and he seemed okay.

While I would normally take off a day of work for such events, this would also mark my first full day with students, students who need to get the 411 on Ms' U.S. History class. So I encouraged D to get J on that bus and that it would be okay. I even enlisted a fellow daycare goer to sit with J on the bus and help him out if need be.

His first day would be the day after D's first day so outside we went for "the picture". I would like to say it's because he was in a hurry to get going. But alas, it was more that he was tired and didn't want to participate in my memory making schemes.

I sent the e-mail to the teacher asking how it went and it went a little something like this. "J had a blast. He acted like he has been here for years. He is making friends and loved the bus." Indeed he did make friends. When I asked it was, "Yeah we play outside with Diego, Nicholas and Girl."

Here's to a great year with Girl, J!

No comments: