Monday, September 1, 2008

No Really, Are They Serious?

When I first started/thought about writing this blog I never intended it to be a platform for politics. I have learned it is one thing you don't talk about in mixed company, but today I am shocked by some things I read in a Yahoo! news story.

First of all, I don't consider myself a tree hugging liberal, right wing conservative or a feminist. I consider myself an educated working mom with real issues that impact my family. If I happen to believe Obama can fix some of those issues that is my choice. If I think McCain can that will be my choice too. I refuse to believe that because I am a woman, Palin knows my plight and if other women in this country think this...well this makes me sad.

In a blog I frequent she makes some good points about the undecided voter you can read about it
here. I think she makes a valid point.

As a government teacher I am excited to teach young and naive minds about the process. I pride myself that I teach my students to listen what the candidates say and not to just look at what they see but to hear.

I hate that we have turned into a nation that likes to fit things into a neat little package. If you are against abortion you must be a Republican. Apparently I am the one who is wrong. While I would never have an abortion myself, I don't think I have any right to make that decision for someone else. If that makes me a Democrat go ahead start pointing your fingers. If I think my uncle and his partner who love each other unconditionally and are mature and responsible human beings should be able to get married before my 16 year old student who got knocked up at prom and will then turn around and ask the government to pay for their daycare and food makes a Democrat, then sign me up. What I refuse to believe is that because I am a woman and Sara Palin is a woman she must get me and therefore I am now a Republican, show me where I can burn my voter registration card.

Back to the news story here are some of my favorites, and by favorites I mean do these people smoke crack? Well, we know the answer for Rush Limbaugh.

“Palin=Guns, Babies, Jesus,” he wrote in an e-mail. “Contrast that to Obama's bitter clingers. Obama just lost blue-collar, white Democratic voters in Pennsylvania and other states.”

So if I am to understand this, all blue collar workers love Guns, Babies, and Jesus. I will be sure to put this in my notes for class.

Not only is the 44-year-old governor opposed to abortion rights — but she carried and gave birth to a child with Down syndrome earlier this year, a profound and powerful motivating force to both opponents of abortion rights and the parents and relatives of special needs children.

Are we really praising her for giving birth to a child with DS? I know there are millions of women who have done so and I would bet money some of them were Democrats. Are there that many women flocking at abortion clinics to abort children with DS? If so, I will admit that I am wrong.

There were 10 or 12 women, party stalwarts, in tears, using napkins and handkerchiefs.”

Are they sure because I bet you could say the same thing about women after Obama's speech on Thursday night.

She's one of us,” wrote Michael Bane, a prominent Colorado-based gun enthusiast who has a show on the Outdoor Channel, on his blog. “FINALLY, we can get 100 percent behind the Republican ticket ... change we can believe in!”

One of who? A woman trapped in a man's body. I think there are clinical words for those type of people. What type of change is she going to bring? I'm not quite sure. Women decorating their living rooms with their husbands' freshest kill?

I know, I might be being petty but I just don't get all the hype. But that's the thing about this country you can have your opinions and I can have mine and yet we all try to find a way to get along. Whoever you chose to vote for you have your reasons and I have mine and we don't need to debate that here. But I will leave you with this conversation D had with us in the car last weekend. Sad thing is his logic isn't much different than so many others in this country.

D: Mom who are you voting for?

Me: I don't know why?

D: I was just wondering.

Me: You really aren't supposed to ask people that. Why do you want to know?

D: I don't know. I just do. If I could vote I would vote for Obama.

Me: Why?

D: Because all the presidents have been white I think the black people need a turn.

Hubby: That really shouldn't be a reason why you vote for someone.

Me: Why not, millions of other people in this country won't for the exact opposite reason.

Hubby: Good point.

Good point indeed.

No comments: