Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'll Take The Window Seat

This morning on my way to work. I know what you all are thinking, didn't your school year just end? Why yes it did. I was already back for meetings. So much for the battery our principal told us to recharge. The DJs were discussing irrational fears. He mentioned that he has heard of parents who refuse to fly together if they have kids that are not traveling with them. He went on to say that some don't even ride in the same car together without their kids. This, while probably harder to do, seemed more "rational". I mean the likelihood of being in a fatal car accident it more likely than a plane, right? FYI-I try not to think of either.

This reminded me of the time J and I went to Vegas when D was 15 months old. About two minutes before we left for the airport I wrote on a Post-it note "Should anything happen to J and I on this trip we would like my parents to raise D." We both then signed said Post-it. Seriously. I stuck it to our kitchen counter and hoped our wishes would be carried out.

I never thought about this before. Partially because J and I haven't been on a plane without the boys since then, but still. Have any of you ever considered flying separately? If J takes me on that "Congratulations on Finishing Your Type 75 Trip" we are planning for next March, it may not be that bad of an idea. Irrational though? I don't know.

I will tell you what is irrational. My fear of being arrested and sent to prison for a crime I didn't commit. Not like Ashley Judd in Double Jeopardy or anything, but like on of those you always see on Law and Order shows where something happens that links you to something and you have no alibi because you decided to go for a walk or watch movies alone. It's always the ones that decide to stay home alone that end up sitting in an all woman prison in down state Illinois wondering, "How the hell did this happen to me?"

So, what's your irrational fear?

No comments: