Monday, June 2, 2008

Shopliftin' in the Burbs

Yesterday I took the boys (much to their chagrin) shopping for some end of year gifts for teachers. Being a teacher myself I put much thought into these gifts. For those of you who search for the perfect gift, I guarantee you it isn't on of these.



'Cuz if it were true I would most likely have one of these and I most certainly do not.















I decided instead on a few items from my new favorite store. I also could leave without getting myself a little end of year gift; hidden from the hubby until about 10:49 last night when he found me organizing the new bag. Anyway, I was standing to the side of the register waiting for the girl to wrap the teachers' gifts when the lady at the cash register walks towards me and says in a stern mom voice, "Excuse me you are going to have to give me those." At first I was like, "Is she talking to me?", but I quickly realized she was talking to a lady in her mid 60s who was perusing the spinning stationary rack. Apparently the lady had put two pens in her purse. I swear to God you would have thought this was happening to me. My heart started beating as she was talking to this woman, who I believe was with her daughter or perhaps her niece. I think niece because she didn't refer to her as her mom.


The salesclerk continued to probe the woman and say "Give me the pens, I saw you put them in your purse. You are going to have to leave the store immediately and never come back. This is not the first time we have asked you to leave. We have caught her one other time putting things in her purse. I will save you the embarrassment of calling security, but I am going to ask you to never return to this store." She did give them back to her rather quickly and without incident. As a matter of fact she sort of had a perplexed look on her face.


I really felt bad for the girl she was with. She apologized profusely and explained she was on several medications. The salesclerk said nothing, which quite honestly what was she going to say, "That's okay."? The girl she was with continued to make her return and shortly after my gifts were wrapped and off I went. J and the boys were just outside the store eating their mall favorite, Auntie Anne's Pretzels and I said to J, "See this lady over here? Look at her. I am going to tell you something about her in the car."


As we walked past I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Maybe she is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's or something. She didn't look like the type to shoplift Vera Bradley pens, but then again I have seen those women on Oprah who steal shit for the sake of stealing shit and they look normal too.

No comments: